Here’s a great article by MensJournal on how to prevent (and cure) plantar fasciitis.
Source: The Real Reason You Have Plantar Fasciitis (and How to Fix It) – MensJournal.com
Me: “Hey! Great work today! You’re body was really responding to the work!”
My Client: “Thanks! I’m glad it’s working! I just lie there and whimper!”
Top 8 Reasons Why I love Neuromuscular Therapy
My favorite form of therapy which I use for the basis of my work at Active Motion Massage Therapeutic Bodywork in Santa Rosa, Ca is neuromuscular therapy. Neuromuscular therapy or NMT utilizes alternating levels of static pressure on an area of muscle tension to encourage the muscle to relax or release. The pressure is usually applied with a T-Bar, the hands, or an elbow and is typically held for about ten to thirty seconds until both the therapist and the client feel muscle tension diminish. When the work is being performed, it is important for the client to communicate with the massage therapist about the sensations felt from the pressure. A good measure of tenderness uses a scale from 1 through 10, with 1 representing the least amount of tenderness and 10 representing the highest amount of tenderness a client feels. The level of tenderness or pain should not exceed a level 8.
In the beginning, the discrepancy between the therapist’s touch vs the client’s sensation may be large. At times, the therapist may be applying a level one pressure, but the client feels tender/pain at a level 7. Thus, it is important for the client to communicate with the therapist his/her level of sensation, with every pressure point, so the therapist can adapt his or her pressure accordingly. After several sessions, this discrepancy will diminish as the tender points release and/or as the therapist learns more of the client’s pain sensation patterns.
So, what are the top 8 reasons why I love Neuromuscular Therapy? Here they are in no special order:
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) works with the nervous system as well as the ligaments, the soft tissue, and the muscles of the body providing a more thorough form of bodywork
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) helps find and correct postural distortions which will cause pain if held over a long period of time by educating the client about and creating awareness of their body.
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) addresses Trigger Points in the body that cause pain locally and globally by finding and releasing these spots through continuous pressure onto these spots.
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) pinpoints bio-mechanical dysfunctions in the client’s body to help the client connect with and correct these dysfunctions.
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) uses manual manipulation to increase blood flow on ischemic muscles which are sensitive to touch because they lack blood flow.
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) helps release nerve compression and or entrapments caused by bone, cartilage or soft tissue putting pressure on a nerve.
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) requires a thorough understanding of anatomy, physiology, orthopedic principles, and strong palpation skills.
- Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) utilizes trigger point release techniques, muscle energy techniques, passive positional release as well as exercise to provide the client with the most relief from pain.
Depending on the severity of the client’s condition, the benefits of NMT work can be felt immediately or over several sessions. It’s important that the client’s nervous system is not overwhelmed by too much NMT work in the first sessions. Eventually, after several sessions, the client should notice an improved sense of energy, a wider range of motion, a more balanced posture, and increased flexibility.
For more information on Neuromuscular therapy in Santa Rosa, Ca, check the American Massage Therapy Association website at https://www.amtamassage.org or the Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals at https://www.abmp.com
Here’s a great way to jump start your day using high-intensity interval training, or HIIT! It only takes 7 minutes! Just click on the image and download the iPhone app today! Now, you can kick start your day while you wait for your morning coffee! 🙂